Each year in November, Speech Pathology Australia releases their book of the year awards. These awards focus on books that positively promote Language and Literacy Development.
Whilst waiting for the 2019 awards, let’s take a look back at the 2018 winners….
Birth – 3 years: Heads and Tails by John Canty
3 – 5 years: Rodney Loses it! By Michael Gerard Bauer
5 – 8 years: Danny Blue’s Really Excellent Dream by Max Landrak
Indigenous Children: Sorry Day by Coral Vass
Reading to your child is a great way to improve their vocabulary and understanding of language, as well as to develop early literacy skills.
Be sure to:
- Sit so that your child can see your face and how you say the words or make sounds
- Sit so that you can see your child’s face and what interests them while you read
- Encourage your child to participate by prompting them to turn pages
- Ask them what they can see but always be sure to use more comments than questions – “I can see a really tall giraffe” exposes your child to more language than “what’s that?”
- Leave pauses as you look at the pictures together, be sure your child has time to comment
- Have fun, watching your child learn will be enjoyable for everyone.
Stay tuned for the 2019 winners!